Jump to main navigation.
Jump to main content
Data and Mapping Resources
Online Mapping Tools
- Social Explorer Social Explorer's Demographic Maps give you online access to 2010 U.S. Census data and 2005-2009 American Community Survey data by census block group, census tract, and county. Data can be viewed in maps and a variety of reports can be downloaded in several formats, including Excel tables. Data from earlier years of the Census and ACS are also available.
- OnTheMap This tool provides data on jobs and workers, including wages, job sector, distance and direction traveled to work, and demographics of workers. Geographic areas can be analyzed based on where workers live (home, or commutershed) or where they work (work, or laborshed). Maps can be exported as pdfs or images, and data can be downloaded in several formats, including Excel tables and shapefiles.
- Minnesota Geographic Data Clearinghouse MCDC is a portal to a variety on state-wide mapping services and data.
- Ramsey County Online Maps and Data Ramsey County makes a variety of data about physical features in the county available online, including depth to groundwater, parcel boundaries, and schools. Historic aerial images are also available.
- Hennepin County GIS Hennepin County hosts several interactive maps including a Park Locator, Road Construction Locator, a Property Map, and an Election Results map.
- City of St. Paul GISmo St. Paul hosts several online mapping tools that allow you to map information about heritage preservation districts, canopy (tree) cover, public art, and many other things.
Places to Download Data
- American FactFinder
FactFinder is the main place to find census data (including ACS data)
in tabular form. You can download summary files or download individual
tables for different census themes. Download 2010 TIGER/Line shapefiles
(census tract and blockgroup boundaries) here, or 2000 TIGER/Line shapefiles here.
- MetroGIS DataFinder MetroGIS makes the same data that can be mapped in its DataFinder Cafe available for download here.
- MN DNR Data Deli A variety of natural resource and land data for the State of Minnesota can be downloaded from this site.
- IPUMS This data resource, hosted at the University of Minnesota's Minnesota Population Center,
allows access to microdata, which is data collected on households and
individuals. Access is free, but you need to register for an account
Other Mapping and Data Resources
- Borchert Map Library UMN's map library is located in the lower level of Wilson Library and maintains a large collection of print maps. In addition to this collection, the library also hosts the Automated Cartographic Information Center, which includes several computers with ArcGIS software available for patron use.
- Minnesota Compass Neighborhood Profiles Minnesota Compass compiles Census data into reports for Twin Cities neighborhoods, as well as metropolitan area cities, Minnesota counties, and the state as a whole. Data files can also be downloaded.